Nephrology Department of Tabba Kidney Institute started its services with a four station hemodialysis centre in 1995.
Twenty three years later and after several stages of metamorphoses including structural reorganization and relocation
of its premises it stands tall in a five story building.
Today it is a tertiary care referral centre for kidney patients requiring intensive therapy. It has a busy outpatient clinic
and an emergency. It has a full time faculty with Consultant Nephrologist, Senior Registrars and Registrars, who have
completed their FCPS training in Nephrology.
The hemodialysis clinic works in four sifts. Patients with Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C are dialyzed on dedicated
machines as per CDC guidelines.
Tabba kidney institute is a regional leader in hemodialysis services since its inception 22 years ago, We have always taken a lead in introducing modern facilities and new technologies to improve the quality of hemodialysis. A testimony for this is the longevity of our dialysis population. Over 25% of our patients are on hemodialysis with us for more than 10 years. Three patients are on hemodialysis for over 20 years.
At TKI, haemodialysis is done at various levels
- Hemodiafiltration in ICU -3rd Floor
- Hemodialysis Clinic (Low-Flux) – 4th Floor
- High-Flux (Deluxe) Dialysis – 5th Floor
- Dialysis in Emergency – Ground Floor
Severely sick patients with multiple organ involvement and low blood pressure are unable to receive an adequate dialysis sessions. For these patients, we initiated haemodiafiltration. Such patients can have adequate dialysis treatment for upto 10 hrs. Currently haemodiafiltration therapy is performed on admitted patients only.
- 38 station for Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) negative patients.
- Dedicated machines for Hepatitis C postive patients.
- 2 stations for HBV postive patients in an seperated room as per CDC guidlines.
- Trained doctors for supervision.
- Over 250 patients dialysed on regular basis.
- 160 dialysis sessions being done everyday.
HIGH – FLUX DIALYSIS (DELUXE) DIALYSIS UNIT
To improve the quality of dialysis, TKI has introduced an advanced form of Hi-Flux Dialysis. In this dialysis, a special filter (dialyzer) is used which provides better dialysis treatment.
Currently Tabba Kidney Institute has Six Hemodialysis cubicles in Hi-Flux Hall which provide extra comfort in addition to better dialysis.
Each cubicle has facilities like internet, Telephone, TV and Attendants are allowed to stay with the patient during therapy.
REGULAR DIALYSIS UNIT
• Established in April 1995 with 04 stations
• At present 36 stations
• Water Quality control through PCSIR for TDS
• Four Shifts daily
• Registered patients so far 1,700
• No. of Dialysis patients (present) : 260
• No. of hemodialysis done daily 150
• Reverse Osmosis Water Treatment Plant is one of the
best in the country
• We Follow European Best Practice guidelines (EBPG)
• Separate clinical areas for Hemodialysis & reprocessing
of B+/C+/C- patients 90 % plus Patients are on 03/Wk
schedule – (04 Hrs/session)
SOME EVIDENCE OF HIGH
Longevity of dialysis patients on dialysis at
Tabba Kidney Institute:
• >20 years 03 • 15-20 years 16
• 10-15 years 35 • 7-10 years 12
• 5-7 years 23 • 3-5 years 36
• 1-3 years 116
N.B. The usual average duration elsewhere
being 3-5 years.
PEDIATRIC NEPHROLOGY SERVICES AT TKI:
We excel in providing pediatric nephrology services from newborn to fifteen year of age.
Consultation are available for the diagnosis and management of spectrum of nephrotic syndrome (congenital and
difficult to treat nephrotics), renal biopsy, lupus nephritis, Tubular disorders like Renal Tubular Acidosis and Bartter
Management of acute kidney injury and acute peritoneal dialysis.
Dialytic and non-dialytic management of children with chronic kidney disease due to congenital and acquired kidney
and urinary tract disorders, renal stones.
Vascular access for hemodialysis and long term home peritoneal dialysis, Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal dialysis
OUR SERVICES OFFER EVALUATION &
MANAGEMENT OF KIDNEY DISORDERS,
Acute Kidney Injury
Chronic Kidney Disease
End Stage Renal Disease
Acute and Chronic Glomerulonephritis e.t.c.
Adult Nephrology Clinic.
Peadiatric Nephrology Clinic.
Renal Failure Clinic.
General Nephrology Clinic.